Internet wants to rule!
While software rules our computers today, the Internet is trying to
take over the #1 spot.
Email vs. snail mail an analysis and why SPAM is
bad. (For those that need
help thinking it through)
- The Internet is infested by acronym freaks. This rule will be
as TIIIBAF in the future.
- Levels of Internet stupidity in order of increasing magnitude
- Arguing with someone on the Internet.
- Believing someone will take you seriously if you argue.
- Swearing, calling names or insulting someone.
- Swearing, calling names or insulting someone and believing you
not an idiot.
- Believing that freedom is doing anything you want.
- Lack of self control, restraint and concern for others will lead
- Chaos will be brought under control by laws, rules and
Government projects are exempted from chaos controls.
- Most Internet users make horrible economists. Internet users
there is a free lunch.
- All Internet software and interfaces will become standardized 1
after the Internet is obsoleted by something else.
- Keeping the Internet from being grid locked over the next 10
may be a greater feat than putting the first man on the moon. (Story)
- The Internet is like "The Goose that Laid Golden Eggs". The
is there are vendors and users with hatchets.
- The Internet is like a Lan. (See Hardware rules
- Any advanced society will classify SPAMMING
as a 1st degree felony. They will also outlaw any replies to a SPAM.
- Pretty Good Privacy, PGP, is good enough. Be secure in the fact
it may take a few months or even a year or two before someone tears PGP
- Volume of data should not be confused with useful data. Remember
infinite number of monkeys typing will generate an unfathomable amount
- No one can completely understand how things move on the
Chaos was one of the original design specs.
- The internet may give an intelligent, hard working person the
to communicate with thousands, millions or even billions.
- The internet may give an inconsiderate, hard working fool the
to insult and abuse the freedom of thousands, millions or even billions.
- The best way to end the chaos generated by spammers and fools is
ignore them. Unfortunately it only takes one reply to keep their little
satisfied and their fingers typing.
- One of the great satisfactions of the Internet is being able to
the trash and not add to a land-fill.
- There is a difference between private and public
The problem is many unethical businesses don't know what the
- If what you say on the Internet is different than what you would
to some one face to face, you may have a problem with honesty and/or
- Internet speed is the inverse of your need to open the web page.
When mass marketers want to send 1 million letters on snail mail, they
pay a fee for every letter. The cost for advertising is their
This fee supports the infrastructure of the snail mail system and
the amount of junk mail in the system. If mass marketers ever
to send snail mail with 'postage due', they would be laughed out of the
and make any thing they advertised a hated product.
With Email the people that own the individual address pay the fee
This is done by paying ISP fees or putting up with endless advertising
'free' email systems. All Email is the equivalent of 'postage
Mass marketers using SPAM on the Internet can send 1 million messages
little to no cost for them. This adds to the load on the Internet
doing one thing to help pay for the infrastructure.
The only reason SPAM is not destructive on a daily basis is that the
majority of people on the Internet are courteous and ethical.
is done by the inconsiderate or unethical few. If every person on
Internet sent a SPAM to everyone else on the internet only once in
lifetime, we would each get thousands of Emails every day. This
destroy the usefulness of E-mail.
Spam the food, not related to Internet
© 1995 Val Hubbard copyright details.
Internet Rules last updated June 2, 2009.
page last update July 6 2020
These rules do not reference any specific person, company or
software package. They are comical exaggerations of the occurrences of
in the field of software. Any relation to events anywhere past, present
future is entirely coincidental.